Thursday, October 4, 2012

This I believe (the 2nd one)

I want to start out by saying exactly why I was not interested in this one. The reason was that the metaphor that was used was a Prairie, and how the life the Prairie is like the middle part of America, where the heart and soul is. Now i just could not connect to this because i have lived in Lexington all my life, and i have never had a chance to know how the Prairie life is and how the land is.

The speaker started with how her family moved the Prairie to get away from the city life, also she talked about how she left to the city in order to get a higher degree and get an education and a career. Twenty years later she eventually found her way back to the Prairie life.

She believes that people that live one the Prairie have a lot they can teach others in America. This is because the view on life of Prairie people are different then those of others. They watch out for one another the poor to the rich they all know that in the end, every one matters. That these people know the balance between having fun, work, education, and the community, that they know this balance which gives everyone the best chance to succeed in life.

Now I understand the point of this essay and i recognize the good points of it but there are just a few things that i did not like about it that just stopped me from really being able to connect to it. One of those being what I stated above. I am un able to connect to the metaphor of this piece. Which kinda makes it useless since to me she is telling me to compare life to something that I do not understand. The other reason I had problems really enjoying this essay is how she went on talking about how Prairie people can teach people this and how they know all of this information, which i am fine with this. The problem is she didn't state it or i was unable to understand, but i never was able to find out why from this piece. Without this information i can not really believe in what she is saying 100%. Learning why she thinks this would help me greatly in actually being able to connect to this piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment